Monday, February 28, 2011

Studying for publication

Well, I've been studying up a little bit, trying to nail down all the details of my publishing plan.  I already know that I will be publishing the paperbacks through Lulu.com, and that I will be releasing the books in ebook format for Kindle and Nook, possibly the Sony reader as well.  What I'm trying to pin down is the timing.  I'm considering releasing the ebook a couple of weeks before the paperback release.
For one thing, it'll take much less time to get the formatting done for the ebook.  For another, the ebook market is one I'm very interested in.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of a printed book.  The feel of the book in your hand, turning the pages, the whole tactile sensation of reading.  But there's no denying that the ebook world is a valid market.
And the most intriguing thing about ebooks is the cost.  You see, aside from the actual writing, formatting and preparation of the books, each ebook copy costs me nothing to produce.  And once it's produced, each one sold is nothing but profit.  Sure, each of the companies, Amazon and Barnes and Noble, take a percentage of the sale price.  But if I were to sell the ebooks at $2.99, my profit on each ebook sold would be exactly the same as the printed copy.  And honestly, for an unknown, unpublished author, isn't $2.99 a much more attractive price point than $20?  Not to mention, the ebook is instant gratification.  You order the book, and bam, it's on your reader.  No waiting for shipping.
Take it a step further.  If the $2.99 price point is more attractive, what about the $.99 price point?  That's right down there in impulse buy territory.
I plan to introduce the ebook at the $2.99 price point and see how it sells.  I think the most important thing for me, and for any indie author, is to get the word out about what you're doing.  Get reviews, get people talking, and get people liking your book.  That's why I'm thinking of expanding the samples I have available online.  Currently, I have a three chapter sample at the Door to Canellin website Here.  I am considering adding more to that, get people wanting to read more, entice them a little.
Anyway, I'm rambling, and this isn't exactly a well-planned blog post.  I'll just leave you with a couple of links that have given me things to think about.
http://jakonrath.blogspot.com
http://amandahocking.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment